Wednesday, February 2, 2011

February 1 Grandmothers to the Rescue


      Well, the prevacid did not deliver. She was up so, so much of the night. Each time I'd get her quiet and attempt to put her down, within moments she'd been screaming her head off again. When I'd pick her up, I could feel her tummy percolating and she'd let out a huge belch or fart. Or she'd be dirty again. Once I put her in her crib and attempted to let her cry it out and go to sleep. I went back to my room and sat on pins and needles waiting for her to quiet. Suddenly, the pitch of her crying hit a new timbre that I'd never heard before. I went RUNNING to the nursery to find that she'd inch-wormed her way to the side of the crib and was wedged face-first into the side of the crib between the mattress and the rails. She was freaking out. I freaked out and started crying with her. She's not even safe in her crib! Eric must have heard me crying and came into the nursery also. We decided that she should sleep in her chair since its at a 45 degree angle like we've been instructed to put her at and it has straps so that she can't inch herself into disaster.
     I tried so many times to put her down into her chair last night. Each time, scream, pick up, fart/burp/be dirty, repeat. If it weren't for Renita, I would lose my mind. She took Lily for a couple of hours in the middle of the night, and again from 6-8:30. Those were the hours I slept. When Eric got up at 5:45, he gave Lily her morning prevacid dose. I've been told that sometimes it takes a few doses to kick in and work. I pray that this is the case. Otherwise, I suppose that I should get used to not sleeping at night.
     Lily and I hung out downstairs this morning after Renita left for work. The first little while went well. We rocked, looked out of the window, went for her first stroller-walk around and around the house, and I got to eat some cereal. All good things must come to an end, so they say. Quickly, things turned grumpy again and Lily was back up to full volume screaming and being inconsolable. She cried until eleven when my mom came and helped. I tried everything! Changing her, feeding her, walking, strolling, bouncing, the swing, patting her back from every angle, working her little legs back and forth to move any gas bubbles. Nothing seemed to help for more than a moment. By the time my mom arrived, we were both crying.
     Mom was a hero. She had me pump so that she could feed Lily and sent me to bed. Oh lovely sleep, how I miss thee! I completely passed out for a couple of hours and awoke to a happy, sleeping baby. I couldn't believe it! How did mom do that?? It seems that grandmothers, both my mom and Eric's, have some sort of magical, special touch. I think babies can sniff out the newbie moms. They can't get away with that with the grandmothers though.
     Mom went back to work when I came downstairs. Lily was sleeping in her car seat in the stroller. I did NOT wake the sleeping baby! She was content in there for the afternoon. WHY couldn't I do this hours previously??? I strolled her next to the recliner and rested myself. Although she remained asleep for a while, I could hear her ruminating (swallowing back reflux), and could hear gas bubbling and squeaking through her little belly.



     Nanny Tara arrived at 3:30 and took over! She sent me back to bed and I slept for another couple of hours. This gave me 8 hrs/24 hr period like the nurse at the hospital said I needed to get. I did wake up feeling a little better and actually got dressed! As I was dressing, Eric arrived home and found me in the closet. WONDERFUL man that he is, he'd spoken with Mimi and Nanny and took me out of the house and out to a quick dinner. He wanted to get me out, away from the stresses of home, and have a little couple time. It was so nice! We didn't go far, just up the road to the La Madeleine at Perkins Rowe. We were only gone about an hour, but it was a lovely dinner.


     When we came home, we saw that Lily was happy and interacting with Mimi and Nanny. Apparently she was pretty happy the whole hour we were gone, not surprising since evening time is her best time of day. She got to have exercise time with Nanny - both physical and mental stretches :) They read a book and did their little routine, including quick feet, arm and leg stretches, and wrist flexes. So funny. Nanny is so great with her!


     Tonight we continue to pray for peace in our home. We are all a lot more relaxed than we were this morning. Mimi is staying again tonight to offer her support. Praying for calm! Night!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm tearing up after reading this. Being a new mom is a tough job, but if anyone can do it, it's you! You're doing such a fantastic job with her and have an awesome support system. Trust your instincts. Lily is so blessed to have so many amazing people in her life! Love to all of you : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! I don't know WHAT I would do without our awesome support group and kind words!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is too cute and is totally a Dixon--dang!

    ReplyDelete