Monday, April 11, 2011

April 3-9 Eleven Weeks Old!

     Boy was this a week!! If there has ever been a week to really appreciate the support of a wonderful family, this was IT! This was a pretty hard week for Mamma Dixon!


     On Monday we had a heck of a storm, as did all of the Baton Rouge area. We lost power while cooking dinner, but were luckily able to finish cooking with residual heat. We ate and decided to turn in early since there wasn't anything else to do in the darkened house. I set my alarm extra early since we hadn't been able to take showers or anything and we headed upstairs.
     We stripped Lily down to her onesie as it was getting warm, and tried to sleep. She was up a lot during the night and since the bottle warmer needed electricity to heat bottles, I had to get up with her each time. More and more throughout the night I kept feeling bad. My legs, neck, and back ached. My joints were sore. My breasts were swollen and painful. I attributed it all to lack of sleep and it being warm in the house. Finally, the power returned at 1:30 and the rapid cooling of the house made Lily cry with cold and I felt even worse. Again, I attributed this to the temp in the house and lack of sleep. When the 5am alarm sounded, I reluctantly got up and prepared for work.
     I didn't make it long! I ended up calling the wonderful nurses in the lactation department at Woman's Hospital for advice on my increasingly painful chest. By 8am it felt as though someone had punched me in the sternum and my entire chest was so painful that the slight jarring caused by walking to a meeting was painful. Lactation advised me to call the doctor at once, that I had mastitis, an infection of the breast. Ugh. I spoke to my boss and left for home.
     My wonderful Granny has Lily on Tuesdays so she was home with her when I arrived. She took one look at me and sent me to bed! I was SO GRATEFUL to have her watch Little P so that I could rest. I passed out immediately and waited to her from Dr. Guidry's nurse. No sooner than I'd fallen asleep, the phone rang. I did, in fact have mastitis (along with 102 fever), and needed to begin antibiotics right away. Luckily, I have a wonderful Mommy who offered to help out. She ran over on her lunch break, picked up some poweraid and my Rx, and delivered it to me. I took it, and went right back to sleep. Moving hurt. Breathing hurt. Moving my arms hurt. Changing position hurt. Feeding Lily hurt. Pumping hurt. Basically I was miserable! But... it would get worse before it got better.
     All night Tuesday I felt increasingly nauseated. I was allergic to the antibiotic! I'll spare the nasty details, but it was bad! Again, thank God for a supportive family as Pappy came to the rescue. He arrived when Eric left for work and took care of Lily. I contacted the doctor once more and was told to stop the meds right away, but to take Tylenol for pain and fever, but if it went over 101 to go the the hospital right away for IV antibiotics. Well then.
     I continued the Tylenol regimen all day and the fever hovered around 100.6. Talk about make you feel terrible! Fevers stink!
     Finally, Thursday morning the fever broke in an enormous pool of sweat. I felt so yuck! Still sore and painful, I was glad not to have fever or any more side effects of the horrible medicine.
     On Friday I ventured out back to work. I am lucky to have such sweet students. They were glad to have me back and were, of course, well behaved. The day went quickly and soon it was time to go home. This Friday Grampy had Lily for the first half of the day, then Nana relieved him. It was great for Lily to experience all of her grandparents this week! When I got home, mom and I hung out for a while before she needed to go. That was great. She, Lily, and I just hanging out!


     If there is a silver lining in this ordeal, its that it was wonderful to be home during the day with the caretaker of the day and Lily. Granny talks non-stop. I really do mean non-stop! I could tell when Lily was asleep because it was the only time Gran wasn't telling a story, singing a nursery rhyme, or telling Lily about something. It was amazing! Pappy likes to teach her things. This week was how to spell Mississippi. They do exercises and go for walks around the yard and porches. Mimi is a cuddler and is one of the most patient people I know! What an incredibly loved-on baby!!! She is going to have such wonderful linguistic skills after having such an array of dialects speaking to her all the time! On Tuesday and Wednesday Nanny, Great-Nanny, and Mimi took Lily walking. What a lucky little girl!


     This weekend was MUCH better than the week. On Saturday, Lily took in her first LSU tailgate and game. It was Spring Game time and Eric is on the net crew. We were lucky to be offered Press Box seats, so Lily, Tara, and I headed up to the Press Box and watched the game from there. It was amazing! The view was terrific and the air conditioning was even better! Lily was great. She was calm and happy. She did a lot of looking around and taking it all in. We had her in the baby backpack for a lot of the time. She really loves that thing!






     Sunday we met friends for brunch. After brunch, Tara had volunteered to take Lily to Mawmaw's house so that Eric and I could get a bunch of running around done. He has a bunch of important business meetings this week in New Orleans, so he needed slacks. Oil change. Grocery Shop. Pick up a bridesmaid dress. Etc. Lots to do. Tara reported that Lil was great for the first part of the day, then had a screaming-kicking-red-in-the-face tummy tragedy. Unfortunately, this carried on into the night. Poor Little Love. I PRAY for this tummy craziness to pass!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment